It looked like 🥇🇷🇺Alexander “Sasha” Povetkin, could be finished off at any moment. The former WBA Heavyweight World Champion had been put down twice in the fourth round by 🇯🇲🇬🇧Dillian “The Body Snatcher” Whyte in the final Matchroom Fight Camp card Saturday, and didn’t appear to have any momentum on his side to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
But that’s exactly what he did.
Just 30 seconds into the fifth round, the 40 year old from Russia landed a devastating left uppercut that rocked Whyte to sleep before the 32 year old Brit hit the canvas. And with that, Whyte (27-2-0, 18KO) has his second loss as a pro and his longtime status as WBC mandatory is over, taking away any hopes of facing the winner of Fury/Wilder 3. As for Povetkin contrary to previous belief, he isn’t dead yet as a serious contender in the division and improves to 36-2-1 with 25 knockouts.
It’s worth mentioning that as of now Povetkin has given us what could be the leading candidate for Knockout of the Year (passing Eleider Alvarez’s knockout over Michael Seals) and puts himself in the running for Comeback Fighter of the Year.
With a rematch clause in place, Eddie Hearn has already told us to expect to see a second fight between Povetking and Whyte to take place in December.
“Dillian said as we were coming back from the ring: ‘Give me that rematch, give me that rematch’.
“The negotiations to fight for the WBC title were only if Dillian retained the interim title, so we are going to invoke the rematch clause hopefully by the end of the year.”
Fighting Words: “I didn’t think I would finish the fight like this. But after four rounds I still felt okay, I still felt confident even after the knockdowns.”
“I watched his fights and took into account that he was open to uppercuts, both from the right and the left. It was probably the best finish of my career.”